Tuesday 4 June 2013

Fre Husaren Von Schill.

 
It has taken me longer than I thought to finish off these Hussars , the problem being the yellow paint for their coats . My old pot of Games Workshop yellow having gone solid I purchased a Vallejo paint to replace it , but it would not cover the black undercoat I was using - probably something technical to do with pigments - so I had to brave our local Games Workshop to get another 'Sunburst yellow' or whatever they call it now.
 
 
I'm pleased with the results now and this is the first unit of the Saxon contingent to help the French - the Frei Husaren Von Schill. I am planning to do a infantry unit as soon as I get some figures cast up.
 
 
I did a conversion job on one of the figures to convert him into a trumpeter . I carefully cut away his pistol and glued a Irregular 42mm Figures trumpet into his hand and added modelling putty to cover up any scars . There does not seem to be any details on the musicians for this regiment so I gave him different coloured fur on his Pelisse and lacing on his sleeves.
 
 
 
 
 

11 comments:

  1. Lovely,lovely figures you have there sir!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found with the Vallejo yellows and oranges that using a basecoat of Yellow Ochre first works best.

    The hussars look lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In the end I undercoated white - then yellow ochre and then yellow

      Delete
  3. These are very fine indeed! And a small mention in despatches for using yellow at all, given its opaque tendencies in almost every medium, be it enamel, oil...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have got another Vallejo yellow now as well (name of which escapes me)which is darker so will be trying it out as a facing colour on my next unit

      Delete
  4. Green with Envy over your Yellow Sir!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully shiny figures, a feast for the eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really nice figures.

    I have the same unit on my painting table using 28mm RSM French Hussars.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super hussars, like the trumpeter conversion

    Allan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, they are absolutely gorgeous! 42mm? Of 30mm Holger Eriksson?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes Schwartz

    ReplyDelete
  9. 42mm figures from a EBay find . They come from Nurnberger Meisterzinn molds I think.

    ReplyDelete