Tuesday 16 April 2013

Hessian Leibgarde du Fuss

 
Have finally got around to finishing off painting the Nurnberger Meisterzinn figures I got off EBay , these have been painted as the combined grenadier companies of the Hesse-Kassel 'Liebgarde zu Fuss'. To tell the two companies apart I reversed the pom-pom colours - not historical but a handy way to tell them apart.
 
 
They are not as crisp a casting as Prince August ones and are swine's to cast up , it took about 6 attempts to get the 2 drummers cast up - the metal moulds don't seem to allow the casting metal to flow through them as easy as the rubber compound ones . The 2 Officers are Prince August Prussians - the Officers did not seem to wear the mitre cap. I also converted a couple of the infantry into Sergeants by cutting the musket away and gluing pole arms to them.
 
 
 

9 comments:

  1. Despite all the problems they have come out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They look good! I only have 1 Meisterzinn mold, a 16thC cannon but I'm not keen on the metal mold. I'm told by people that do like them that its best to heat the mold and use lubricant. Holding it over a candle to blacken the inside with soot before casting is apparently the traditional method. Anyway they look worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have heard about 'smoking' the mold , think it might have been a bit cold to cast properly.

      Delete
  3. Lovely figures! I do like the Meisterzinn chaps they have 18th century vavavoom I feel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do have a very 'toy soldier' air about them !

      Delete
  4. The metal molds do cast better when they're hot--if the yellow plastic handles aren't melting, they may not be hot enough...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking at this regiment, the result was worth all the pains - you did them really extraordianry. I like the manipulated grenadiers in particular, they give a great effect to the composition of the whole regiment. Don´t worry about the cast problems - same to me.
    I use talc powder or baby powder (from drugstore) and brush the mould gently - that helps normally.
    Peter

    ReplyDelete