Saturday 3 May 2014

Painting 10mm Figures.


Last post I put up some 10mm AWI figures I had been painting and Jim Duncan from - http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/ asked what method I used to paint them . So I have decided to give a brief run through of my method . I spray the figures black and then paint them in batches of 8 figures - which is one base ,  mounted  individually on bottle tops with 'blue tack'. Please try to ignore the VERY mess paint table that appears in the background !.


I paint the musket , hands and face/hair a dark brown . Painting the same pose of figure in each session helps to remember were the paint needs to be applied .


I then pick out the straps and belts in white , on these figures the coat turnbacks and stockings are also white - as well as the hat lace. Click on the photos to enlarge them .


As these figures are going to represent the 2nd New Hampshire ( Enoch Poor's ) Regiment I paint the breeches a buff colour .


The facing colour of this regiment was red so I then pick out the cuffs and lapels . I try to use very bright colours as the black undercoat tends to dull the colours down .


Next I paint the bayonet and barrel of the musket , also the canteen . I then paint the coat blue - it should be a darker blue - but this lighter blue looks better . I think the trick is to leave areas black to represent shading and shadows - note slight gap of black between the stocking and breeches on these figures .


I then add the flesh to the hands and face , I try only to paint the nose and cheek bones and leave a bit of brown showing to define the face. I've only painted the higher areas on the sleeve of the coat and left the black showing in the folds . These figures are not really meant to be viewed this close up .


I put a touch of gold onto the tip off the bayonet scabbard and musket butt - if visible . I then super glue them to their base and CAREFULLY  work 'Basetex' around their feet (the hardest bit of the process I find!) .


When the base is set, I dry-brush it with a very light brown and add a bit of static grass to finish it off . A coat of matt varnish to the figures completes the process . Only another 32 to do to finish off this regiment . I think the trick is leaving enough black undercoat showing to suggest shadows and using lighter/brighter coloured paints on the highlights of the figures . I hope this has helped illustrate how I paint these figures - Kallistra say on their very good website - 'paint the unit not the figure' . 








7 comments:

  1. Thanks very much Mosstrooper.

    This is almost exactly the method I want to have a go at. Leaving the right amount of black undercoat is crucial and also using a brighter top colour here and there as the black will tone things down a bit.

    Can't wait to find the time to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like all things its just practise , Tony

      Delete
  2. Very helpful thanks. I was looking closely at your bigger figures too to check to see how much black you left showing...just a bit so they look s if they have been 'blacklined'. Not sure I could manage 10mm now, although I painted a lot of Warmaster stuff about 12 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Think its a 'one off' project for me as well - I have to be in the right humour to do it , but I like the challenge .

      Delete
  3. Uttar Pradesh Madhyamik Shiksha Parishad (UPMSP) has Recently Upload the UP Board Class 10th Model Question Paper 2022 Pdf Format Question Papers for Final Exam 2022. We are Providing here UPMSP 10th Model Paper 2022 the Sample Paper of All Subjects in PDF format. These UPMSP 10th Question Paper 2022 Represent the Design of Solved Question paper Including the type of Questions and Distribution of marks across Different Sample Paper which will be followed in the Upcoming UPMSP Final Exam.

    ReplyDelete