Wednesday 10 April 2013

This Is What I'm Going To With Them !

 
Uncle Toby explains to Corporal Trim how you make gabions out of hair curlers . I was wanting  some gabions  and the ones cast from metal are horridly expensive as they do take a lot of it. So I thought I would look around for a cheaper alternative . In the distant past I can remember my mother and sister doing home perms with vile liquid that made your eyes smart and using hair curlers , these I thought might be suitable. A EBay search revealed you can still get them - very cheaply, so to my wife's alarm I  ordered some (I  believe she thinks I'm at a funny age for men !)('a funny age for men- between 9 and 90' , my father used to say !) . They arrived promptly and I set to work !.
 
 
The Mark 1 fortification - having glued them to a piece of MDF  I wondered what to fill them with ? and decided on paper mache - this took ages to set ! luckily the weather was warm at the weekend and I put it in the sun to dry . Corporal Trim had thought of this problem but failed to alert the Engineers to the fact !
 
 
 
The gabions with a mortar and crewman behind it ready for spraying with black undercoat . Uncle Toby is impressed by the results so far and eagerly awaits the next step .
 
 
 

6 comments:

  1. what an utterly excellent ideaand one many will pinch if they have any sense...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant, you can never have too many gabions and now I'm off to Poundland to see if they've got any curlers big enough for 54mm!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat idea, looking forward to seeing them painted up

    -- Allan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent idea, ditto to Brian's comment for 54mm,

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am told by female member of my family that they do come in different sizes ( I am enlightened !)

    ReplyDelete