Tuesday, 6 May 2014

10mm A.W.I. Unit Finished.

I've got the 10mm unit finished that I started painting in the previous posting . I was going to try photographing them outside - but as this photo was taken it started to rain !.

So I retreated to the bathroom were I usually photograph things - strange I know- but trial and error has proved that this is the best room for lighting and the least interference by cats and dog . The unit is the 8th Continental Regt. - Enoch Poor's 2nd New Hampshire . There are 40 figures on 5 bases and I have included a American staff officer in the photo.

2 British staff officers . I think I will be using 'Black Powder' for the rule set and a 'standard' unit will be of 4 or 5 bases and small units 3 bases . 

I also got done a unit of Hand's Pennsylvania Rifles . The figures paint up very quickly once you get the hang of it and is making a change from painting 40mm figures.

Saturday, 3 May 2014

Painting 10mm Figures.

Last post I put up some 10mm AWI figures I had been painting and Jim Duncan from - http://jim-duncan.blogspot.co.uk/ asked what method I used to paint them . So I have decided to give a brief run through of my method . I spray the figures black and then paint them in batches of 8 figures - which is one base ,  mounted  individually on bottle tops with 'blue tack'. Please try to ignore the VERY mess paint table that appears in the background !.

I paint the musket , hands and face/hair a dark brown . Painting the same pose of figure in each session helps to remember were the paint needs to be applied .

I then pick out the straps and belts in white , on these figures the coat turnbacks and stockings are also white - as well as the hat lace. Click on the photos to enlarge them .

As these figures are going to represent the 2nd New Hampshire ( Enoch Poor's ) Regiment I paint the breeches a buff colour .

The facing colour of this regiment was red so I then pick out the cuffs and lapels . I try to use very bright colours as the black undercoat tends to dull the colours down .

Next I paint the bayonet and barrel of the musket , also the canteen . I then paint the coat blue - it should be a darker blue - but this lighter blue looks better . I think the trick is to leave areas black to represent shading and shadows - note slight gap of black between the stocking and breeches on these figures .

I then add the flesh to the hands and face , I try only to paint the nose and cheek bones and leave a bit of brown showing to define the face. I've only painted the higher areas on the sleeve of the coat and left the black showing in the folds . These figures are not really meant to be viewed this close up .

I put a touch of gold onto the tip off the bayonet scabbard and musket butt - if visible . I then super glue them to their base and CAREFULLY  work 'Basetex' around their feet (the hardest bit of the process I find!) .

When the base is set, I dry-brush it with a very light brown and add a bit of static grass to finish it off . A coat of matt varnish to the figures completes the process . Only another 32 to do to finish off this regiment . I think the trick is leaving enough black undercoat showing to suggest shadows and using lighter/brighter coloured paints on the highlights of the figures . I hope this has helped illustrate how I paint these figures - Kallistra say on their very good website - 'paint the unit not the figure' . 

Thursday, 1 May 2014

From One Extreme To The Other.

Think this may be a symptom of my mid-life crisis - 10mm American War of Independence , Hodge the cat looks on in disbelief . They are by Kallistra and very cute ! , I bought a few packets at the Reading show and have been playing around how best to paint them . I finally decided to spray them black and just pick out the colours as highlights and a coat of matt varnish . This will be a loooong term project as I have to be in the right humour to paint them . I am thinking probably Black Powder for the rules - sorry for the rather out of focus photos .