Sunday, 13 April 2014

Sunday Morning Varnishing.


I usually try to varnish figures on a Sunday morning whilst there is nobody else about - especially animals ! . I've had several disasters with cat fur attached to figures and the 'incident of the dog and the varnished SYW figures' is best forgotten or 'glossed' over ! . So while my wife took the dog for a walk and the cats were sleeping upstairs I've got the latest batch of 40mm SYWish figures done , these are the final company for the British 18th Foote and there's only the command and standard bearers to do now to complete them. 

5 comments:

  1. How easy is the yacht varnish to use and endure the odor?

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I find it okay to use and it doesn't have much odour - I have a special brush that I keep just for varnishing ( I wash it in turps - but keep it in the outdoor shed). Does tend to skin over about half way through the use of the tin , but its not to expensive ( I buy it from Boyes U.K. shop)

      Delete
  2. I usually keep part-used tins of varnish upside down (with the lid securely on of course) and then if it does 'skin over' you still have useable varnish when you open it again.

    I also try and buy a suitable sized tin of varnish to the expected demand in the first place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never thought of turning them upside down ! - clever , must try that !

      Delete
  3. My yacht varnish is starting to skin over and looks a bit yellow when applied but it's drying clear and gives a lovely sparkly finish. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete